Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weddings on a shoestring?

I spent some time this evening looking around bloggerland, searching for some new ideas for the wedding, when I came across a blog for weddings on a small budget.

Hmmmm... sounded interesting....so I went to the site and started to look around.

Small budget???

No one on this site seemed to be having a wedding for less than $8-10 thousand dollars! In fact, they were asking for new bloggers to write for the site.... preferably those looking to stay under $15 thousand.

Yikes.

I was talking with Richard yesterday and he is excited about our plans to have something simple and rustic because he'd never heard of anything like it before...all he'd ever known was largely formal. Personally, my goal is to stay under $2000.... but then, I am not looking for some sort of a grand affair or a 3-ring circus. I do admit, part of the budgeting is because we also have to rent a place for the two of us and furnish it, as I gave away pretty much all of my furniture when I moved down to Utah... but even without that consideration, I still wouldn't be having an elaborate affair.

I don't happen to think that weddings on a smaller budget is such a radical idea... nor do I believe the things that I am planning are cheap or going to make our day any less special. It makes me wonder when the world of the wedding became so extravagant.... and why in the world we accept such a notion. The idea of having people start their new lives together by going massively into debt (or their parents) is silly.... economic downturn or no.

Does anyone else feel that things have gotten a little out of hand?

No comments: