Thursday, June 23, 2011

Home Hunting

Well the wedding is taking a bit of a backseat this week.... which is fine.... so I can start hitting craigslist hard and heavy, trying to locate a place for Richard to move into in August that is big enough for when the cats and I move in after the wedding. A lot of calls that I have made are immediately turned off the instant I mention how I will not need the place until August. I have, however, possibly located a nice duplex in Provo that (hooray!) is a decent rent for 2 bedrooms that will be available (roll of drums) the last week of July! And they allow cats!

I seriously hate moving though.... boxing up everything I own, lugging it from here to there only to unpack it again. I do look forward to seeing more of my stuff again, as its been packed in boxes since I left Washington, yet to see the light of day. I have gone through a couple of boxes over the last year (always a dreary chore that I keep managing to put off) and I am usually surprised at some of the items tucked away. I'll stumble across a neat vase and think "oh my gosh, I LOVE THIS!"... inevitably the thought comes back to me that, "hey, I really do love my taste in stuff". It is always nice to know that some purchase from yesteryear can still thrill me today.

I really do have a lot of boxes stacked up in the basement.... and, when I get around to packing my bedroom there will be even more (did I mention how much I really hate moving?) Of course, there are some perks. Fingers crossed that there will be enough room to finally have all of my books out.... which may stop me from buying the same books over and again (you think I jest? I looked around yesterday and realized I had 2 copies of "Shell Seekers" and 3 copies of "September" by Rosamunde Pilcher... I'd almost bought a copy of her novel "Coming Home" but I didn't...which is good, since it turns out I already own that one as well!) I have so many books I can't even keep decent track of their titles anymore! I kid you not when I say I have a full bookshelf in my room, an overflowing one that goes from floor-to-ceiling in the living room, and at least 5 large boxes of books in the basement.... and don't even get me started on my crafting magazines.....

So what's to be done? Well, at some point (thank you Richard for graciously offering to help once you get here in August... ) I need to start going through the boxes and be a bit ruthless with sieving the dross from the gold (the poor guy has no idea what a chore he has volunteered himself for!) It will be nice to move with less junk... and its a job I sort-of tackled in Washington, but really has been put off for too long now. I know there is plenty of miscellaneous junk down there that can be donated to Deseret Industries for some other gal to pick up and love.

I'd like to start the new life and home off with a lot less clutter than I normally have around me. Don't worry, my eclectic mix of cute, quaint, old and battered will still be around... but maybe just a little less of it. I want to fully realize the William Morris quote “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful” My problem is just weeding the "beautiful" items down to a more tolerable level!


2 comments:

Leah Z said...

Home hunting is hard work. Good luck! Endure! We worked really hard to find our new apartment earlier this year -- six weeks of seeing apartments several times a week. It's worth the work though.

Miya and Roy gave us this good advice about house shopping: Focus on the things you can't change. Obvious, but easy to forget when you're actually looking at a place. Carpet, decorations, paint -- those things can change, but it's easy to let them persuade too much. Let location, layout and other unchangeable features weigh heaviest.

And I wish I was there to help with your boxes! I've spent 2.5 years fighting the Zimmerman hording tendency (not sure if it applies family wide) and I could give Richard some pointers!

Shawna said...

Honey, I hate to say this, but all of us Zimmerman kids are hideous about hoarding. Not to the extent that we need our own TV show.... but we do tend to hold onto stuff not remotely worth keeping.

I think my biggest problem right now is the timing.... it should be easier once we get into July, but right now people are turned off when you admit that you won't be taking possession for a month-and-a-half

I am not worried about the little things... right now my focus is price (though with two of us paying the rent we can be a little more flexible there), acceptance of the wee furry ones, it has to be at least 2 bedrooms (for all my crafting stuff and his writing space) and must have washer/dryer hookups.... I have done my time with the whole laundry mat thing and am not going back without serious kicking and screaming.